After my baby shower I started putting together my hospital bag. I had gotten anything I was going to need for Mila and I only had to get a few things for myself still. I will be 35 weeks tomorrow (7/22) so my bags are packed early but my mom went into labor 3 weeks early with me so better safe than sorry right? Right. I am probably either over packed or missing things but I’m a FTM and there are SO MANY lists out there that claim you NEED so many different things so I just tried to compile the things I think I will most likely want during and after labor 🙂 I will try to link some of the items in case you’re interested in where I got them!
Let’s start with Mila’s bag. I’m using my honest co. “honest everything tote” diaper bag for her things.
Inside I have:
- 1 NB size sleeper
- 1 NB size going home outfit
- 1 0-3 month size sleeper
- 1 0-3 month size going home outfit, my mom had big babies so I’m being prepared!
- a blanket
- “Swaddleme” swaddles
- a baby safety kit I got at my shower mainly for the nasal aspirator because I have this fear that if I randomly have her in the car on the way to the hospital I’ll need it to clear her nose (yes, I know I’m a little crazy)
- burp cloths
- nipple cream
- breast pads
- I added an Aden and Anais muslin swaddle blanket as well. I don’t know why, just because I like them and they are light and it’ll be hot when we bring her home.
- obviously, her car seat. We got this one.
- I’m taking a Boppy pillow
- I also have diapers and wipes in there, even though I’ll get them at the hospital while we’re there, just because this is my actual diaper bag I’m going to be using on a day to day and I already had them in there
What to pack for myself was probably the hardest part because there are so many things they say you will want and you really don’t know til you’ve been through it and every hospital, just like every birth and every baby, is different. Here I’m showing my Vera Bradley “Campus tech” back pack but I am going to switch to my “Large duffel” because of the things I realized I needed to add later.
- a nursing bra
- comfortable underwear
- a robe
- a nightgown with skinny straps to make nursing and getting checked convenient
- a towel, this is one of those things I don’t really know if I’ll need it but I’m sure I’ll prefer it over a hospital towel so in it went.
- flip flops for the shower
- slippers because I hate the thought of walking on the hospital floor in socks and then getting into bed with them. Both these and the flip flops are just cheap ones that I will probably throw out after this.
- going home outfit- I’m taking joggers, a v-neck and a cami
- a cosmetic bag with toiletries and such, I don’t think Vera even makes this particular one anymore but its the perfect size.
- make-up wipes
- soaps (body, shampoo, conditioner)
- toothpaste, I need to add a tooth brush
- lotion (face and body)
- a wet brush
- hair ties
- bobby pins
- waterproof mascara
- concealer, I’m not sure if I’ll use these because I really don’t know if I’ll even allow visitors at the hospital. It depends on how communication is with Abram the day I go into labor, because of his training around this time there could be long-ish periods where getting in touch with him is more difficult than others. BUT I figured better off to have them and not use them than wish I’d brought something.
- dry shampoo
- I’ll have my phone, obviously, but also my tablet. I plan to skype/facetime Abram if we are able to and just for entertainment if my labor is slow.
- our camera
- chargers for all our devices
- a blanket and possibly a pillow for me. Some things like this I will probably leave in the car and if I decide I want them, my mom can go grab them for me.
- I’ll need to pack my ID’s and Insurance info.
- I may bring my breast pump, again leave it in the car unless I decide I want it. I’ve heard different things about this but I want to have my own there just in case I have questions about it for the lactation consultant.
I think that is everything! Like I said being a first time mom I really have no idea if this is over doing it or not but I like to be prepared!